One thing I love about food preparation is that there is always going to be something new that you’ve never tried before. It’s never boring, and the possibilities of what you can create are endless.
In an effort to avoid falling into a food rut, I like to challenge myself to experiment frequently with new recipes and techniques. Sometimes this requires me to step outside of my comfort zone as a non-professional cook, but I tend to pick up valuable skills by doing so, and the experience alone is usually worth a potentially failed dish or two. I’ve discovered how to make bread, yogurt, marshmallows, bagels, pasta, mayonnaise and so many other awesome things that I never in a million years would have thought I could make from scratch.
This year I’ve put together a list of things I’d like to try before the year ends. I’m trying to keep the list short and manageable, which will increase my chances of completing each recipe. But even if I don’t get around to all of them, this gives me a starting point for motivation! Here it is, my 2012 Food Bucket List:
vanilla sugar – I’ve already started this, we’ll see how it comes out in a week!Done!
- homemade english muffins
- cinnamon raisin bagels – I’ve only mastered the plain bagel, time to expand my horizons
tofu – I just want to prepare it in a dish, since I’ve never cooked with it beforeDone!
- homemade pop tarts
- homemade pitas
- challah bread
- vanilla extract
- General Tso’s chicken from scratch
- noodle kugel
- blueberry pie
- homemade crackers – Like a butter or cheddar cracker
- homemade ricotta cheese
- homemade cream cheese
- savory shortbread – I once ate a smoked onion shortbread cookie, and I’ve been obsessed ever since
- homemade fruit leather
- chocolate syrup from scratch
- jelly – grape?
- homemade graham crackers
- won tons – Won ton soup is my Chinese takeout order go-to
- meringue – …and then a lemon meringue pie, naturally!
- egg nog
- carrot cake – my all time favorite dessert that I’ve never personally prepared
- cheese straws
- soft pretzels
- polenta – I actually just want to try it, since I’ve never eaten it before
- bloody marys – my all time favorite alcoholic drink that I’ve never personally prepared
- matzo ball soup
- poached eggs – I’ve tried this in the past, wholly unsuccessfully
- milk pie
- sprouts – I’d like to grow our own
- homemade cheddar biscuits – I have a food crush on the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits and determined to replicate them in my oven
- yeasted coffee cake
- homemade liqueur – maybe amaretto or irish cream
- sourdough bread
- homemade tootsie rolls
- french macarons – I’ve never even eaten one before, but they intrigue me nonetheless! I suppose my plan should be eat first, make later.
Okay, so maybe I said “small and manageable”, but once I began typing I started to remember a gazillion other things that I wanted to make. Oh well, like I mentioned before, even if I don’t accomplish them all it gets me motivated to try. Wish me luck! And if you have any tried and true recipes for any of the things I’ve listed above, please do share!
What’s on your bucket list of foods to eat or make? Share with us in the comments section below!
Subscribe to Ginger(ly) Homemaking by Email